Malta is a Schengen member state, meaning citizens from several countries can enter for short stays without applying for a visa. Those who require a Schengen visa to enter Malta should fill in an application from a diplomatic mission or official website and submit the necessary documents and biometrics.

Tourist visas for Malta

Expats from non-Schengen countries who want to visit Malta will have to obtain a tourist visa in advance.

Tourist visas are valid for one or multiple entries of up to 90 days during a 180-day period. Applicants must submit proof of travel insurance, adequate funds and onward travel along with a letter of invitation. They will also need to show evidence that they've secured accommodation for the duration of their visit. This can either be a booking for short-term rental or written confirmation stating they will be staying with a personal acquaintance.

Residence permits for Malta

Expats looking to stay in Malta for longer than 90 days will require a residence permit. The Maltese residence permit comes in the form of an e-Residence document, which functions as a form of identification. Once an initial application is submitted, expats must attend an appointment at the Expatriates Unit at Identity Malta to submit their original documents.

There are two residence permits: the Ordinary Residence Permit and the Permanent Residence Permit. The main difference between the two permits is the different tax obligations attached to each permit.

Permanent Residence Permits are open to any nationality and are renewable once every five years. Holders of this permit pay a flat income-tax rate of 15 percent. Only EU citizens are eligible for Ordinary Residence Permits, which are renewable annually. Expats on this permit pay income tax on a scale from 0 to 35 percent.

Work permits in Malta, also known as Single Permits, also function as residence permits, so expats only need to make one application to gain the right to work and live in Malta.

*Visa requirements can change at short notice and expats are advised to contact their nearest Maltese consulate for the latest information.