The visa system for Indonesia is complicated, and policies and procedures may vary across different regions, so there is often confusion about applying for the correct visas or permits for Indonesia.

Below is an overview of the various visas for Indonesia, but it is recommended that expats consult their nearest Indonesian Embassy for the latest information, as regulations change periodically and with short notice. 

Tourist visas for Indonesia

For short stays in Indonesia, a tourist visa is required. Nationals of many countries will be able to obtain this visa at the airport on arrival in Indonesia. In order to be granted a visa on arrival, visitors must produce an onward or return plane ticket. Visitors must also hold a passport that is valid for at least six months from their date of departure from Indonesia. Standard tourist visas allow a stay of up to three months, while tourist visas obtained on arrival allow for a stay of up to 30 days. Both types of tourist visa can be extended.

Expats planning to do business in Indonesia will need to apply for their visit visa ahead of time. During the application process, they will need to submit documents from the companies involved stating the nature of the business to be conducted.

Residence permits for Indonesia

Limited stay permit

Expats intending to stay in Indonesia for a period beyond that covered by a tourist visa will need to obtain a limited stay permit, also called an ITAS (Izin Tinggal Terbatas). The ITAS is valid for six to 12 months for foreigners employed in Indonesia. An ITAS can be renewed for the same period it was initially granted for. This can be done for a total of up to four times.

Permanent stay permit

After an expat has been in Indonesia for five years on a limited stay permit, they're eligible to apply for a permanent stay permit, also known as a KITAP (Kartu Izin Tinggal Tetap). If expats are married to an Indonesian national they can apply for the KITAP after only two years.

*Visa regulations are subject to change at short notice and expats should contact their respective embassy or consulate for the latest details.