Foreigners who want to visit or settle in the island country of Fiji must ensure that their paperwork is in order and that they have the correct visa or work permit. 

We recommend expats research the country’s immigration and visa laws to ensure they apply for the right permit. Apart from visitor's visas, which are available at the border for some nationalities, most visa applications will need to be completed well in advance.

Visitors visa for Fiji

A visitor's visa allows the holder to enter Fiji for a holiday, travel or business. There is a single-entry visa (valid for three months) and a multiple-entry visa (valid for four months).

Citizens of more than 100 countries, including Australia, Canada, South Africa, the UK and the US are eligible for visa exemptions in Fiji. These visitors are issued a visa upon arrival and will only need an onward ticket, proof of adequate funds and a passport that should remain valid for at least six months from the date they intend to leave the island. Those who do not qualify for visa exemptions should apply for a visa through the Fijian embassy or consulate in their home country.

Work permits for Fiji

The Fijian Department of Immigration grants work permits on a case-by-case basis. There are different work permits available in Fiji. 

Expats keen on starting a business and investing in Fiji's local economy are eligible to apply for the investor permit for non-citizen investors. Prospective employees looking to secure a Fijian work permit will need to secure a role in the country first. They can then apply for a work permit for non-citizen skilled contracted workers. These are typically granted to workers with scarce skills and a job offer that cannot be adequately filled by a Fijian citizen.

Residence permits for Fiji

Those looking to settle in Fiji but don't intend to work or set up a business would need to apply for the Residence Permit on Assured Income. This permit is for those with assets outside of Fiji that can fund their upkeep. Most expats who fall into this category are retirees. 

Expats will need to submit proof of funds, such as an offshore bank or retirement scheme statement, with their application. Other requirements include medical and police reports.