Banking in Fiji is relatively straightforward. Several multinational banks have a presence in the country and are likely to provide the most suitable services for expats.

Expats should note that while the availability and standard of banking facilities in the main cities and tourist spots are good, they become limited in the outer islands and surrounding areas.

Money in Fiji

The official currency of Fiji is the Fijian dollar (FJD). Each Fijian dollar is divided into 100 cents. 

  • Notes: 2 FJD, 5 FJD, 7 FJD, 10 FJD, 20 FJD, 50 FJD, 100 FJD and 2,000 FJD

  • Coins: 5 cents, 10 cents, 20 cents, 50 cents and 1 FJD 

Currency exchanges are available at bureaux de change and most major banks located in urban centres and tourist resorts in Fiji. Expats travelling to the more remote parts of Fiji should carry enough cash for their trip, as it can be difficult to access money or exchange currency in rural areas.

Banking in Fiji

Banking in Fiji is fairly easy to navigate and quite efficient. The biggest multinational banks in the country include Australian New Zealand Bank (ANZ), Westpac, Bank South Pacific (BSP), Asset Management Bank and Bank of Baroda.

ATMs and credit cards

ATMs are accessible at most banks in Fiji, as well as in shopping centres and tourist resorts. Many ATMs accept international debit cards, such as Cirrus and Maestro. ANZ also has ATMs scattered throughout Nadi and Suva.

Taxes in Fiji

Expats relocating to Fiji for work need to discuss taxes with their employer and take the necessary steps to avoid double taxation.

The percentage of income tax expats will pay depends on whether they are considered tax residents in Fiji. Tax residents are expats who live in Fiji permanently or are in the country for more than half of the tax year.

Fiji has double-taxation treaties with some countries, which prevent expats from being taxed on their income in both Fiji and their home country. Filing taxes is a complicated procedure, even without having to file in dual systems, so we recommend expats consult a specialist tax advisor for support.